My dear Beard,
You should know:
1. I love sweet, sour and spicy taste. That why I am always crazy about mango salad, everywhere and every day in my life.
2. I also love seafood of all sort and I’m so thankful for being raised in Nha Trang, where you can eat fresh fishes, shrimps, crabs and squids all the time with a cheap price.
So, I am going to make myself a Vietnamese sour clam soup with dill (Canh nghêu thìa là) right now. The soup tastes literally sour, sweet, a little bit spicy that goes good with clams.
And the dill smells like …dill (sorry, it’s hard to explain what dill smells like. There’s nothing like it).
So, here we go:
– 100g clams meat
- 300 ml water
- 10g dill (cut 3 cm)
- 1 star fruit (sliced, thinly)
- 1 tomato, cut into wedges
- 2-3 slices of red chilli
– 1 teaspoon of fish sauce
- 4 teaspoons of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of tamarind sauce
- A pinch of pepper
- Cooking oil
– 1 teaspoon of chopped shallot
- Heat oil and shallot in a pot until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, stir it until we can get the red liquid from the tomatoes.
- Then pour the water into the pot. Add tamarind sauce, fish sauce, sugar and cook until it boiled.
- Add clams, star fruit, dill, and chilli.
- Remove from the heat. Sprinkle a pinch of pepper on the top.